Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Days in London

25-27 July:

Damn slow. Daytime was damn long, people moved at their own sweet time, the whole beat of the city was just crawling. The only thing that was moving non-stop was the cold wind. Shops close damn early at 5pm. Racism is evident.

Days 2-4 were spent roaming around:

Day2 ~ Took a 4-hr drive to the Stone Henge. Ain't as majestic as I imagined (prob coz there was a boundary to our proximity to the stones) but there was still this air of mystery around it. Spent 6.60pounds for the entrance fee but less than an hour in there. Take-away is just like been there, done that. Then explored the town of Salisbury a bit and had dinner there.

Day 3 ~ Went to Chinatown for lunch and then took a walk to Westminster, where most of the tourist spots are. Checked out the London Eye, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace (Place was huge but I was very disappointed that I don't get to di siao the guard coz we couldn't reach them), Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus and Madame Tussauds. The architecture was really very erm, English, but colonial and different. Statues in tribute or memory of people everywhere in the scores of gardens and parks. Shops here are not in malls but it's like a one-level shopping district. Place was so big that a same brand can just appear again just a few streets away. Madame Tussauds was not bad. Compared to Hong Kong's, it's much bigger and more 'effects' here and there. Saw some of the 'same people' there though. Queued for almost an hour to get in too.

Day 4 ~ Had English breakfast again. V nice, I like. The pub we went to quite a big and warm, homely and nice place. Then visited Stamford Bridge. Yes, don't fall off your seat - I really went. What to do, Chelsea fan in tow. Took the tour with a young but humourous guide - checked out the press room, changing rooms for both home and away teams (very very big differences by the way. And as explained by the guide, the rationale behind certain things are just so funny and yet make sense!), and the spectator area as well. WHY didn't I go to Old Trafford? Coz no time when I reached London. Manchester is a good 3hr train ride away... and someone die die dun wana go. BUT. If I don't go when I'm back in London in a couple of weeks' time, someone's 50POUNDS [which I am keeping at the moment =)] are gona be forfeited. See if I don't. Ha.

Reached the apartment at 10+pm and then started packing up for our journey to Zurich. Then slept for 1 hr and then set off.

London 之旅, 暂时告一段落.

No comments: